On February 16, 2018, the Tax and Customs Authority (Autoridade Tributária e Aduaneira <email@example.com>) sent the following email to registered persons about the new law for fire prevention that has to be realized by land owners until March 15, 2018.
Campanha para a prevenção de incêndios – Campaign for Fire Prevention
In collaboration with the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Development sent a communication, as well as a leaflet attached, about the importance of cleaning land and trees in fire prevention. Communication from the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Development.
It is required to clear weeds and cut trees until March 1, 2018:
– 50 meters around the houses, warehouses, workshops, factories or construction sites;
– 100 Meters on the land around the villages, camp sites, industrial parks, logistics platforms and landfills;
– clear the treetops four meters above the ground and keep them away at least four meters from each other;
– cut all the trees and shrubs within five meters of houses and prevent the branches grow on the roof;
Failure to do so until March 15, may be subject to offense proceedings. Fines can range from 140 to 5,000 euro in the case of a natural person, or from 1,500 to 60,000 euros in the case of legal persons. And this year is double. (?)
Until May 31, the Municipal Councils can be replaced to the owners in the brush cleaning. Owners are required to allow access to their land and to reimburse the amount spent in the chamber cleaning.
Is important to:
– Stay informed of the risk of fire in your area
– Make sure the irrigation system and hoses work
– Clean roofs and put sparks retention net in chimney
– Keep away from the house and buildings: Surplus agricultural or forestry wood piles, propane tanks or other explosive substances
For more information call 808 200 520.
Portugal without fires is in the hands of all. This information does not dispense with consultation of Decree No. 124/2006, of June 28 , in its current wording.
Meanwhile, the law has been more specified about which trees near the houses have to be cut, and how, and which ones not. Read here: